Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Long time, no mojo

I am fairly ashamed at how long it has been since I have written. I started to compose part 2 of the tips for tourists back in August, but couldn't seem to write it without being totally hateful and malicious. And by now, it's pretty much moot until spring breaks start in March. Maybe I'll take another look at it then and see if I can retool it.

The main reason I haven't written is because I really haven't been knitting all that much. I lost my "knitting mojo," as it were. I haven't given it up, not by a long shot, I've just had little motivation to pick up the needles. I've also had a lot of other things going on - work, family, sleep - that have taken priority. I've decided to squarely place a couple projects in the "UFO" (UnFinished Objects) pile - possibly to pick up again, possibly to pay someone else to finish. I've only got two projects going right now, though I am itching to start a couple pairs of socks, especially since the weather is getting colder.

Punkin' Chunkin'
One of the projects I have going is a scarf for my sister. In the spring, I bought some beautiful orangey-brown sock yarn from Miss Babs called "A Day at Punkin' Chunkin." I bought it because it is SOOOO my sister. She rocks those colors and she loves Punkin' Chunkin'. I bought it thinking she'd want a nice pair of socks. Originally she said she wanted a hat. But when I finally got her to sit down and look at patterns, she changed her mind to wanting another scarf. She picked out a checkerboard pattern and I got to work. It's a fairly simple pattern, though I can never remember the number of stitches at the beginning of each right-side row. It'd be a lot easier to remember if it was in entrelac, but instead it's lace, with a pattern of k2 yo and yo k2tog stitches. It's coming out nicely, though, and is a great display for the yarn, which has started to pattern a little bit.

Adorable, no?
Over the weekend, I started the first of four dresses/tunics for friends who have recently had, or will soon have baby girls. The first is for Catherine Watson - the daughter of my friends Heather and James. It's going to be green and yellow. I am not sure what I'll put as the embellishment - maybe a dinosaur, or a tree, or maybe just a monogram. I finished the hem and am a few stitches into the main part of the skirt. It's worsted weight yarn on size 10 needles, so hopefully it will go quickly. Catherine is getting the 9-12 month size. The others will get the 6-9 month...probably.

Hopefully these projects will help reignite my knitting mojo. It really does help me relax and unwind. Maybe now that the new television season has started, and the Yankees have (again!) made the playoffs, I'll have some good ass-sitting time to get some hardcore knitting done.

No comments:

Post a Comment