Friday, May 7, 2010

I knit so I don't kill people, or Shipping Yarn to Afghanistan

Oh my GOD!  It has been a week!  Yesterday, I woke up knowing that I had back to back to back to back meetings from 9am to 4pm.  I was very excited to hear that my 2-4 meeting had been cancelled.  The excitement was very short lived as I got pulled into another 2-4 meeting which led to a 4-6 meeting.  I was in meetings from 9am to 6pm yesterday!!!!!!!! It was INSANE.  Even though I was exhausted, I managed to drag myself to fibre space and I'm glad I did.

Earlier this week, my VA Pep Band friend, Beta (her real name is Christine), sent me a message on facebook regarding a friend of hers - a female marine deployed to Afghanistan who was desperately seeking yarn, needles and knitting patterns.  I was all over it.  I posted messages on a couple ravelry forums to see if anyone wanted to destash for a good cause.  Most of my friends donate their soft synthetic yarn to health based organizations for chemo caps and baby blankets, but they can't donate natural fibres or funky yarns to those orgs.  The outpouring has been incredible.  I sent the first box today - chock full of yarn, needles and patterns.  It didn't even contain any of the yarn I'm donating, or the yarn from three other knitting friends!!!!!  Here's a picture that SSgt Sholl sent me of herself and two colleagues knitting in the field.  I'm so happy that I can add to their downtime during an otherwise stressful time.

In other knitting news, I finished the soft chocolate shrug, though I should have made it a little bit longer.  It still fits pretty well, though.  I'm most of the way through the first of my Yankees fair-isle fingerless mitts.  It's coming out pretty well, not bad for my first design, though i wish the edges of the contrasting portions were smoother.  Still plugging away on the World Champ Sweater and I'm hibernating the Seraphim shawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment