Friday, June 4, 2010

Hand-knitted socks will change your life....

I can't remember which of my friends said this to me, but she was definitely right.  Hand-knitted socks are changing my life.  I've been bitten by the sock bug.  There are many reasons why I now thing that sock knitting is the best kind of knitting you can do.

1. Sock yarn
Sock yarn is awesome.  It's a yarn enigma.  It's fine and thin and seemingly dainty; but it's really strong, soft and - best of all - machine washable!!!!! (mostly)  An average skein has well over 400 yards of yarn - for those of you watching at home, that's over FOUR football fields.  The colors are divine.  People get really creative with sock yarn colors - you can find them in pretty much any sports team's colors, any seasonal color, basically any color combination you want.  Socks are what variegated yarns were made for (in my opinion) because they stripe so well.  Solids are awesome as socks as well - especially for ones to wear to work.

2. (almost) Instant Gratification
Socks knit up so fast.  I can turn out a pair in about two weeks - one if it's an easy and/or repetitive pattern.  So much better than doing 15 inches of stockinette over 300 stitches for a sweater!  Or making yet another hat that nobody will wear.  Remember my sister's wrappy cardigan - it took me over six months to finish it!!! SIX MONTHS!  I've been working on my world champ sweater since January.  I know that when I'm done with it, I'll never want to see it again.

3. Maddd Skilllz
Socks incorporate a myriad of knitting techniques.  I've only done cuff-down, so I haven't experienced short rows yet, but just in the pairs of socks I've done so far, I've had to do: knitting in the round, rib, lace, increasing, decreasing, slipping and picking up stitches, turning a heel and grafting using kitchener stitch.  It's a little overwhelming at first, but once I understood that everything had its time and that socks are broken into sections, it was a lot more manageable.  Also, sock projects are incredibly portable.  I can throw my sock project bag into my purse and pull it out anywhere, anytime!

4. The incredulity of your friends
So, this mostly applies to your non-knitting friends, but every once in a while, there will be a knitter who marvels at your ability to turn a heel, kitchener stitch a toe, or to actually finish more than one sock in a pair.  My  mom and grandma have been knitting for years and they don't have confidence in themselves to try knitting socks.  To my non-knitting friends, I usually get a "but wait...how did....what?"  I've already got orders from friends and family for their own pairs of socks. :D

5. Functionality
Lastly, my favorite thing about socks:  they will actually get worn!!!!  They're functional.  Usually when I make someone a blanket or scarf or something, they only get worn/used a few months of the year, and only for special occasions, or they go into a hope chest.  Socks get worn


So yes, this post does make me clinically insane, but I just wanted to share my newly formed love-affair with all things socks.  If you want me to make you a pair, just let me know!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to add myself to your list of friends wanting a pair. I wouldn't wear them until it gets cold again, so put me down for later in the year. I'll buy the yarn for you to, of course! That would be awesome Em - you do beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete