Thursday, February 18, 2010

Vacation Knits

Aaaahhhhhhhhhhh, vacation.  I haven't been on a true vacation in TWO YEARS!  It's insane.  I decided to escape the snowy cold of the DC metro area to come to a place where the weatherpeople describe 68 degrees as "chilly" - Key West.  I'm staying with my brother-in-law's mother, Susan, two blocks off of Duvall Street and just north of the Southernmost Point.  The last time I was here, I was about 8 years old and had a really bad ear infection.  Even though I'm fighting a sore throat, I'm not going to let it upset this wonderful vacation! What it looked like when I left:


So, of course, I had to decide what knitting projects to bring with me.  The first was a no-brainer.  I had lost one of my fingerless fair-isle mitts on Monday - less than a week after finishing it.  Thankfully, I think I have just enough yarn left to make a replacement.  I casted on right before I left and I'm almost halfway through.  I'm just hoping the brown lasts.

I also brought my Seraphim Shawl, my World Champ sweater (the ruby red) and the entrelac baby blanket I'm making for a friend (who may or may not be reading this).


There is a great knit store down here called Knit Wits.  It just so happens that Susan is friends with the owner!  I've got at least one trip planned to the store, and I'm sure there will be more as I get paid on Monday. :D

I'm also hoping to make it out to the Dry Tortugas National Park and Fort Jefferson.  It looks like something right out of Pirates of the Caribbean.  It'll be a day trip, and kind of expensive, but it's definitely something I want to do.


Anyway, I'm off to walk around Duvall and the surrounding areas.  Looking forward to not wearing a huge goose-down, goretex coat for the first time in three weeks.

Pictures will come soon, when I get them. 

Sunset Key:














Susan's house:
 
Beautiful Passion Flower:

No comments:

Post a Comment